Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Homemade Fabric Softener

This weekend the boys and I made Homemade Fabric Softener. It was so much fun to make! This is definitely a project the kids can help with. Hadyn said that he couldn't wait to tell his teacher that he was working with solutions and mixtures. (that's what they're learning about in science) Perfect timing!


What you need:


1/4 to 1/2 cup scent booster of your choice (I chose Purex Crystals)
1 cup baking soda
6 cups white distilled vinegar



Instructions:


Add the scent booster to one cup hot water. I used hot tap water. Stir the scent booster and let it set. Stirring occasionally. Add one cup baking soda to a large mixing bowl. Then VERY SLOWLY add six cups of vinegar. The vinegar bubbles up so make sure you pour it slowly. You could have one big mess on your hands! This was the fun part for the boys! I added one cup of vinegar at a time stirring in between each cup. Once the vinegar is in the bowl add the scent booster. Stirring very well. Then use a funnel to pour the mixture into a container of your choice. I used an old fabric softener bottle. It filled the bottle almost all the way and then I poured the rest into an old (clean) jar.

Before using the homemade fabric softener shake the bottle/jar very well. The scent booster settles to the bottom. A few shakes is all it takes. The bottle did spew a little bit the first few times so be careful when you open the bottle!





Scent booster dissolving in hot water. 





Adding vinegar to the baking soda.






Pouring the Homemade Fabric Softener into the jar.






Ta-da!! The finished product.


This was super easy to make and way cheaper than buy fabric softener every few months. I spent about $9.00 on everything. At first I thought that was a lot seeing how most fabric softeners run about $4.00. Once I started making the fabric softener though I realized that I'll be able to make it again with everything I bought at least 3 times. The only thing I'll have to replace is the vinegar. The baking soda and the crystals will last much longer. 



Thanks for Jill from One Good Thing for the awesome recipe!! 




No comments:

Post a Comment